Saturday, April 01, 2006

Something Old, Something New

The something old? A desire to be an artist. A desire that's so old, I don't even remember when it started. My perception was; if you can't draw, you can't paint. So I took up photography to express myself ( no drawing there ). A few years ago, I came across my old sketch pad from high school art class. You know what? It wasn't half bad. Oh, definitely not a prodigy or anything like that, just not totally horrible. My daughter always tells me that I'm overly critical of myself.

The something new? I finally jumped in. I took a watercolor class at Michaels. Now I know that one class does not a professional make ( it was so very basic ), but it did generate a little spark of hope. Just maybe, with a little perserverance ( ok, lots ), I could be be a decent painter. My first 2 trial pieces really s--k! But, I think I'm ok with that, for now.

If anyone has advice (or watercolor supplies they don't want, hint hint ), I would love it. I'll soon have a little b'day money coming to get some more necessities. Yay!

Have a very blessed day!

4 comments:

Julie P said...

I've got a friend who does watercolors. And he's gotten good over the last few years. His advice is "Practice, Keep painting!"

Lucy said...

I've done a little watercolor stuff...sorta got into last year after vacation cause our pictures were so beautiful, I wanted to paint them..go figure! My advice..get some beginner watercolor books from amazon used...there's also Watercolor Magazines. Practice practice practice...you never learn how the colors react if you don't. And, create your own style....just cause it doesn't look like picasso doesn't mean it's not good. Also, google "watercolor basics"...sure you'll find alot on the web. Most of all...just have fun with it!!!

Kimberly said...

Good luck on the painting! I used to want to draw - I am fairly good at pencil drawings whe nI put my mind to it, but never enough to satisy myself......I do believe that we are all our own worst critic! Have fun letting your creativity shine in your paintings! Can not wait to see some finished pictures!

Deb said...

Thanks y'all! It's awesome to have encouraging cyber friends!!!!